20 August 2000

Jo Marie Thompson, 101
Gordon Culliton, 102
Shea Salyer, 105
Bob Peterson, 202
Jeanie Adams, 204
David Vogel, 302
Patricia Gribble, 303

This meeting was initially called to address the odor problems on the first floor (accurate), and second floor (smoke). Additional items were subsequently added to the agenda.

The possible sources of cat urine odor were identified as:

  • urine damaged in the closet in unit number 101
  • urine damaged entryway carpets in unit 102
  • common area carpet
  • common area walls
  • common areas subflooring

The latter three possible sources were identified as sources which could not be directly addressed at this time due to budget constraints. It was agreed that new interior paint and flooring is on the wish list of most building owners, and will most likely be placed on a list of pending projects. It was agreed that pets will not in the future be allowed in common areas of the building. Patricia Gribble brings up the idea of repeating interior by a volunteer labor of building owners to expedite project. The vote is taken at this time.

The milk closet in unit 101 was used by the former owner as a litter box area. It sustained damage and a lingering odor, which was addressed by the current owner by cleansing ceiling and repainting. All open areas to subflooring, which also sustained damage, were sealed with expanding foam. In addition, edges of the door from closet to common area will now be sealed with silicone sealant to prevent any possible air exchange from closet the hallway.

The entryway carpets in unit 102 has sustained cat urine damage. An enzymatic cleaner and a foaming cleaner have been used on the carpet. The owner declines to have a portion of carpet replaced.

In lieu of immediately removing the source of the odor, a transom window we placed above the entryway door to provide ventilation to first floor hallway.

Smoke order second floor:
there is currently one smoker on the second floor. It was adjusted that a no-smoking/no-incense-burning policy be instituted. By general agreement this idea was vetoed. A list of general rules regarding no smoking in common areas, disposal of cigarette butts, etc. was proposed and accepted.

Investigation of options for increased ventilation to all interior common hallways was identified as a need. Jo Marie Thompson will arrange to have a transom window installed above the entryway door as need. Patricia Gribble will research condominium fire codes and options/cost of installing ventilation on second and third floors.

Adequate building insurance:
the building has not been surveyed for cost of reconstruction five years, during which time construction costs in the area have increased substantially. We may be underinsured. Surveys Inc. is the company which last surveyed the building. Survey cost would be approximately $400. The membership voted to redress this need after painting is completed, and current budget present.

Recycling update:
David Vo reports the current locked recycling containers in the alley are functioning well and have not been contaminated. There have, however, and plastic bags disposed of in containers and we are reminded plastic bags cannot be recycled.

Painting update:
the painters are in process of painting back stairwell and all windows. It is proposed by Jo Marie Thompson that we contract have the stucco and entryway included in the project at this time, thereby putting us approximately $2000 under reserves, but avoiding future additional time and cost of re-contract and project. Proposal is accepted by unanimous vote. By general agreement, it is decided to use the same three color scheme in use on current project, that is: stucco, lower windows, and entryway walls northern Hays; trim green; floor either green or same red used on back stairs, to be decided later.

Gordon Culliton brought up the annoyance of litter in common areas/outside grounds and expressed desire for more conscientiousness of building inhabitants regarding this matter. Shea Salyer suggested a garbage and recycling container be placed at mailboxes.

Gordon also expressed need for changing entryway light bulb which is suspended from cathedral ceiling and is a bit dangerous to change. In the past, building volunteers have changed, and once electrician was called. It was suggested and dismissed that the painters be asked to change the bulb. The matter was left unresolved, but later that day the bulb had been changed—thank you whomever volunteered.

Jeanie Adams brought up two points:

  • building lightbulbs cannot be greater than 60 W to two wiring constraints. Use of higher wattage bulbs may result collectible fire. This item will be added to posted house guidelines.
  • It has been brought to Jeannie's attention that some common area light fixtures have exposed hot wires and are a fire hazard. She will look into repair, and future precautions to be employed, to ensure electrical safety, that is: building electoral survey.

Budget/homeowner's dues:
it is noted that Bob Peterson is hoping the current board to prepare a budget which will include needed building maintenance such as roof replacement, insurance survey, ventilation, interior painting/flooring, regular exterior painting, on for seen repairs and maintenance, while maintaining our necessary reserves and operating expenses budget. Please see attached proposed budget and homeowner dues increases.

Heating budget as a potential money-saving item was discussed. The boiler is on a time system and when the timer was replaced, hours of heating were increased, resulting in $1000 per year additional heating costs. It was agreed to limit heating hours to 6 AM to 9 AM and 5 PM to 10 PM. Total hours being approximately midway between previous and current total hours. Jeannie will make the timer change.

Next meeting:
it was agreed to reconvene in two months for updates on ventilation, electrical safety, budget and dues.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License